Saturday, September 1, 2012

Shrimp on the barbecue and something other than Gin to drink

So if you are barbecuing this weekend, try something other than, Burgers, Chicken or Steak. Shrimp is great on the Barbie as the Aussies know.

I like this version.

Start with the largest raw shrimp you can get. I use 13-15 count. That means 13 to 15 shrimp per pound. This amount of marinade I use for 12 to 15 shrimp. The shrimp should have the shell on but should be deveined.

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup orange juice
1 tbsp orange oil
1tbsp toasted sesame seed oil
1tbsp light soy sauce
2 tbsp Balsamic vinegar (I like white)
1 tbsp Thai peanut oil
3 cloves garlic finely chopped
1tsp onion powder
1tsp Turmeric
Red pepper flakes - as many as you like, I like a lot.

Whisk together the above ingredients and marinade the shrimp for at least one hour. Longer is usually better.

When ready, heat the barbecue to medium high heat. Use a stiff wire brush on the grill to scrape off any previous residue – cleanliness is, after all, next to godliness, or whatever your thing is. Then brush the grill with a paper towel dipped in vegetable oil. Use a tongs not your fingers, otherwise you won’t enjoy the rest of the day.

.Grill the shrimp for a couple of minutes on each side. When they are pink they are done.

I like to serve the shrimp with some kind of fresh fruit salad. If it includes citrus, all the better. I also, like to grill a sliced Boule brushed with olive oil to serve.

Wine? A crisp Pinot Grigio will do, and of course there is always beer.

For drinks before dinner, how about a variation on Gin and Tonic – the usual go to summer drink.

This time of year there is still mint around, I have a ton in my back yard. So I like white Rum and Tonic with some torn mint leaves over ice. Very refreshing.

No comments: