Thursday, July 19, 2012

Is it live or is it Memorex?

Car talk is going away, or is it? Tom and Ray Magliozzi - Click and Clack, The Tappet Brother - have announced that their last live broadcast will be this fall. But apparently, NPR plans to continue the Saturday radio staple by rebroadcasting shows from the past.

At first, I thought: what? You’re just going to repackage and rebroadcast old material? Is this just some way to save money while at the same time maintaining the high ratings of this show? At first I even thought it seemed almost dishonest. It was a knee-jerk reaction.


But then, I thought about it.

Terry and I are both fans of the show and its laugh out loud segments and I don’t doubt that hearing them again we will find them just as funny.

We watch reruns of Mary Tyler Moore, and Bob Newhart, etc. and we find them just as funny as when they were first broadcast.

So, while a radio call-in show is a somewhat different animal, it is still entertainment and comedy and I expect to still find it funny.

So Bob and Ray, we will miss you, but not as much as if we did not have the Memorex.

No comments: