Thursday, August 16, 2012

Random thoughts: Sports, Centerfolds, Phyllis Diller and the F-Bomb

Sports
Happy Birthday, Frank Gifford. The former football player and broadcaster is 82. It is appropriate, then, that we also celebrate the anniversary of Sports Illustrated. The magazine began publishing on this day in 1955. In 1964, of course it began publishing its swim suit issue.

Centerfolds
Field and Stream magazine topped that, as far as I am concerned with the June 1973 issue it published its first and only centerfold. I had a subscription to Field and Stream at that time, and eagerly awaited the June issue, as it had been touted that there would be a centerfold. I was curious to see exactly what it was.

What it was, was (to paraphrase Andy Griffith) Phyllis Diller. She was lounging on her side, propped up on one elbow wearing a rhinestone choker, black chest waders and gold lame boots. She was holding a cigarette holder. She was also 56 years old.
I howled. I still have my copy of that magazine. Of course it buried in a box somewhere.

F-bomb
So F-bomb is now officially part of our language. This week Merriam-Webster announced that the word is now in their Collegiate Dictionary.

I have never used the word and don’t know that I will, but it’s nice to know that if I do it will be officially okay.

I think I will save for another day my thoughts on the use of language or the misuse.

No comments: